Tuesday, 26 January 2010

Brand New Start

I have been rather busy just lately trying to organise myself and build a new website which I usually enjoy doing. The sense of achievement when having mastered something is great plus I've always been rather inquisitive as to how things work so delving into the depths of anything to do with the computer has always fascinated me. So! There I was going through different systems to build my new site and testing out different shopping carts when I noticed that I had a duplicate folder of my Jupiter Rocks website I hadn't noticed before so I thought - and it seemed logical at the time - there are two, I only need one so I shall delete the extra folder... I didn't think anything more of it until I wanted to update my site with some new jewellery and there was nothing... absolutely nothing other than a rather large white space in front of me, to add even more grief to the situation I'd even deleted the admin files so I couldn't even log into the back end!!! I've done many a silly thing in my time but this one takes the biscuit - oh and wait! There's more! Did I back my site up? The answer to that little gem is only some of it - how was I supposed to know there was a facility to download a complete zipped file of my whole site in the control panel?!! I back up all my drives regularly on my pc and even burn the files to DVD to make sure I have a physical copy so why didn't I think I should back up my website?! I can't answer that one just as I don't know what made me think I needed to delete that folder - it wasn't doing anything, it wasn't in the way and my host has unlimited space so it really didn't matter that it had an extra folder. Still, it's a lesson I've learned and I KNOW I won't be doing that again. My new site which is still being built gets a daily back up in full now - just in case! I will get back to rebuilding Jupiter Rocks, at some point in time - thank heavens for Folsky and Misi that's all I can say or I'd be well and truly stuffed!

The moral of this sad tale is - BACK UP EVERYTHING on a spare drive and make a physical copy - and just for good measure make another one!

'Brand New Start' is by Alter Bridge who I have seen live and they are just amazing and because of that I shall treat you to my favourite AB track (well, one of them!)
'Watch Over You' as well as the title one.



No comments:

Post a Comment